Using gnucash on Mac

Ajay sink at opentechsols.com
Fri Sep 25 06:43:57 EDT 2009

On Sep 24, 2009, at 12:54 PM, John Ralls wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2009, at 6:56 AM, Dan Poirier wrote:
>
>> I've used the downloadable binary of 2.2.9 on Leopard and Snow
>> Leopard.
>> I've never had any luck building it myself, though.  I would love to
>> have a downloadable binary of 2.3.5, or for someone who has built it
>> successfully to provide step-by-step instructions (or are they on the
>> web site somewhere already and I'm just missing them?).
>>

> I put up a downloadable 2.3.5 dmg on sourceforge on Monday. It's
> intel-only; I'm still struggling with getting everyhing to cross-
> compile on my Mac Pro. (My G4 is Tiger, and WebKit needs the 10.5
> sdk because it uses Objective C++ which was introduced in 10.5.) I
> told it to build for 10.4, but I don't know whether it will actually
> run.
>
> It suffers from the same crash in the save-file-as dialog that was
> reported here on Tuesday, as does the Intel-2.2.9.2 binary. I was
> able to make a PPC binary without the problem and uploaded it
> Tuesday evening, as I reported earlier.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Thanks John.

I downloaded the 2.3.5 on Snow Leopard, and it installed fine!
Awesome. It looks much better than the fink version.

PS (OT): Would it be possible to list a few pointers for creating a
DMG file for a linux package. I volunteered to do that for Gcompris.
Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ajay

PPS: This is the email that I forgot to do a Reply All on, so it
didn't come to the list. Pasted here for completion sake

==============================

On Sep 24, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Why don't you download the 2.2.9 DMG from Sourceforge?
>
> -derek

Thanks for pointing that out. Last time I check, a DMG did not exist!

Unfortunately, Snow leopard (10.6.1) doesn't open the downloaded DMG!
When I try, I get:

The following disk images couldn't be opened
Gnucash-Intel-2.2.9.3   Corrupt Image

I tried downloading file from 3 different mirrors. Same error from
each mirror.

This leads me to believe that the DMG file may be only compatible with
(32 bit) 10.5, and not (64 bit) 10.6. Is there any validity to this
reasoning?

Any solutions?

Thanks

Ajay