ofx import

jzaksh jzaksh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 03:23:59 EDT 2010

Hello,

I'm happy to announce I've finally decided to move to gnucash for
finances (I read all the documentation months ago and then never
actually made the move). Anyways, I'm having trouble with OFX import
and just getting started in general. Maybe I don't remember something
after all that documentation I read, but I can't figure out two
things:

1 - can't get a decent import via OFX: a ton of stuff doesn't "match"
-- even though the whole ofx file is from the same online download
with a matching "account code", to correspond with my actual "account
number" -- a whole bunch of the transactions show up as "yellow" with
an explanation that there is no account assigned to the trasnaction.

2 - after this fairly painful OFX import, every single transaction
expands itself inside of GNUcash table's to suddenly have a payment
and a chage. So what was in the "import wizard" as "15 payment", now
shows up as a line with "15 payment" and a line just beneath that of
"15 charge". This essentially cancels out the transaction itself. So
the very end of my file has the same balance as the beginning.

Am I missing something crucial, that I didn't read? Eg.: some basics
of how to use gnucash?

Thanks!
--
jzaksh