Guidance for situation that I've got

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 16 18:25:23 EST 2010

Just not sure on the logistics of accounts for this situation

So I have two checking accounts, and normally as a cash transaction I take money from one account, and put it in the other, and it's fairly easy and I have a regular transaction as

Assets:Account1 -$200
Assets:Account2 +$200

On occasion, my wallet is empty, and i keep some of the cash, so I have

Assets:Account1 -$200
Assets:Account2 +$100
Expenses:Miscellaneous +$100

(pretty much anything I pay for in cash is an expenses:Misc to me, this is personal accounting so it's not that important)

However, this time when I took the money, the ATM machine failed to count the money, couldn't give it back to me, so I had to manually input the total, and for some reason the total that it put on the receipt wasn't the same as the amount I actually put in, so I'm in a quandary as to how to record this?

I've put in a claim with the bank, and they are going to investigate, and hopefully come up with my missing cash, but I have no idea how to handle in the meantime (because it could be upto $45 days before it's resolved, one way or another).

I know I'll have

Assets:Account1 -$200

Since I did take the money out, and I'll need a

Assets:Account2 +$100

Since that's the amount that account 2 did show up with, but I don't know what to do with the other $100, I didn't spend it, I don't want it to be an expense (it really isn't) but I'm not sure where else to put it.

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com