NUM and Action field

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 20 09:58:08 EST 2010

Dennis Powless <claven123 at gmail.com> writes:

> I've been playing around with the NUM and action field in the
> register.  When I used quicken I would use the check number or EFT for
> electronic fund transfer and DEP AUTO etc... for the various
> transactions types.  I noticed this is what the action field is in GC.

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about here.  The 'NUM'
field in GnuCash is for the Check # or other numeric ID associated
with the transaction.  If you're in the NUM column and type '+' it will
auto-fill the next number in the sequence.

The Action item is meant to be a free-form string that allows you to say
something about what happened in the transaction.  There is a pull-down
list of previously used actions (and default actions provided by the
system).  But you can always type in something new if you wish.