Gnucash 2.4.0 (Windows)

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Wed Dec 29 16:46:00 EST 2010

> > Why does it connect to the internet at load up? Why will it not
> > run unless it can connect to the internet?
>
> The reason is ORBIT (the Gnome CORBA system); it uses the system's
> Internet Address for local inter-process communication.  ORBIT is an
> indirect dependency of GnuCash, it's something that gets used by our
> dependencies, but not directly by Gnucash.  It's not our code, and
> it's not something that we can easily fix.

I haven't yet tried 2.4 in Windows, but as I understand this thr, eadlet, you are saying that it _has_ to be able to connect to the internet in order to run, even thought it doesn't actually use it.

I have to say that would be a show-stopper for me with that release of gnucash, as I often use gnucash in situations where an internet connection is not available.  I would also add that I could never in my role as a software developer have even contemplated releasing software containing such a bug.  You seem to be saying that this is going to be a permanent feature of gnucash from here on.  If that were to be the case I would reluctantly have to consider moving to other software.

Colin