"Edit exchange rate" has stopped working (2.2.9)

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Mon Feb 1 10:31:11 EST 2010

On 2010-01-29, Adam Funk wrote:

> I have a serious problem that may have coincided with upgrading from
> 2.2.6 to 2.2.9 in December (Ubuntu jaunty -> karmic).
>
> When I use the "Edit exchange rate" menu item on a split, either
> automatically by tabbing past the end, or by right-clicking on the
> split (but in both cases, as I have been doing for years), I don't get
> any errors or warnings, but when I go back and look at the transaction
> in the other register (in another currency), or when I got back to
> "Edit exchange rate" again, the rate and the other-currency amount
> have not changed.  I cannot get the rate changes to persist now.  I
> have tried all sorts of sequences of TAB and CR after clicking "OK".

I'll clarify the problem with a concrete example.  I made some USD and
EUR transactions using various accounts in November, with no trouble
adjusting the exchange rates.  Soon afterwards, I upgraded Ubuntu to
karmic.

I've recently needed to make some more currency transactions, such as
the following: I withdrew EUR 100 from an ATM and it showed up on my
bank account as GBP 89.36.  So I enter the following in my main bank
account register.

   Assets:Current:Foreign:Cash EUR     89.36
   Assets:Current:Main bank account               89.36

It auto-completed the accounts (and therefore the exchange rates) when
I was typing "cash Volksbank", so I tabbed through the completion to
change the total amount.  Then I right-clicked on
"Assets:Current:Foreign:Cash EUR" in that split, clicked "Edit
exchange rate", selected "To Amount", entered "100", clicked OK, and
tabbed and CR'd through the transaction.  Then I went to the Cash EUR
register to enter some cash transactions, and noticed that the above
transaction showed up as EUR 96.48.

I've been back to the transaction several times trying to fix the
exchange rate from the bank account register; every time, I get the
following in that dialog:

  "Exchange Rate"  1 + 89/1117   1 GBP = 1.079678 EUR
  "To Amount"                    1 EUR = 0.926202 EUR

and I change it, click OK, CR out of the transaction, and check the
result: still EUR 96.48 (instead of 100) in the Cash EUR account, and
the out of date exchange rates in the dialog.  I've even tried working
it backwards from the Cash EUR register, but GnuCash then debits the
wrong amount in the bank account (EUR 100 converted at the out-of-date
rate).

Furthermore, I can't set the correct current exchange rate on the cash
purchases in the Cash EUR account either; they are all "locked" on the
old rate.