"Edit exchange rate" has stopped working (2.2.9)

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Fri Feb 5 12:57:11 EST 2010

On 5 February 2010 at 11:21, Adam Funk said:

> On 2010-02-03, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> writes:
> >
> >> I opened the price editor, deleted all the entries for EUR in January
> >> 2010 (they all had source "user:xfer-dialog"), and closed the price
> >> editor.  Then I tried edited the exchange rate in the EUR100 = GBP89.36
> >> withdrawal again ("to amount" 100); that created an entry in the price
> >> editor
> >>
> >>  EUR  GBP  20/01/20  user:xfer-dialog  0.893600
> >>
> >> but the amount in the Cash EUR account *still* shows 96.48 instead of
> >> 100!  I'm baffled.
> >
> > Note that once you have a transaction you cannot change the "amount"
> > from the edit exchange rate box.
>
> Why in the world am I not allowed to do this?  Once you have a
> transaction, you can edit the split amounts in that register's
> currency and add or remove splits.  Why not change the exchange rate
> or the currency value in the other account?

But you are allowed. I've done it any number of times, usually when I've
not had the correct conversion available at data entry time and wanted to
correct later (the typical instance being a foreign currency transaction
on my credit card, where I won't know exactly how much EUR150 will
convert to in GBP until I get the statement).

What you can't do is change the exchange rate of a transaction with
splits from an unsplit view. The splits might have different exchange
rates so you need to treat each one separately.