Gnucash on OSX -- how computer novice friendly?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Feb 16 14:35:23 EST 2010

On Feb 16, 2010, at 10:29 AM, jomali wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:40 AM, David Bicking <dbickin at yahoo.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> Thanks for the info. One thing I didn't find: If she decides she doesn't
> want to go with gnucash what is involved to de-install it and remove any
> trace that it had ever been on her Mac?
>
> David
> <snip>
>
> a. Drag application icon from application folder to trash
> b. Empty trash
> c. Delete .gnucash and .gnucash_bak files from the user's directory
>
> Step c is not necessary, but satisfies the requirement to remove any trace that it was ever on her Mac. Also, step c requires a modicum of knowledge of using the Terminal and Unix command line commands.

Umm, not quite. A and b are right, but step c isn't, because .gnucash is a directory, not a file, and there is no .gnucash_bak. There are some other directories that need to be deleted as well. Start Applications>Utilities>Terminal and run the following commands:

rm -rf ~/.gnucash
rm -rf ~/.banking
rm -rf ~/.gconf*

There will only be a .banking if she has set up online banking.

She'll also want to delete the account file (or files) and the backups and log files. It's a good idea to make an "accounts" folder when she saves the first time, then she can just drag the whole thing to the trash and empty it.

Regards,
John Ralls