deleting Account Books

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Feb 18 07:22:29 EST 2010

On Thursday 18 February 2010, Paul Openshaw wrote:
> I am running 2.3.8 on windows Vista. When I first started with 2.2.3 I had
>  difficulty saving and somehow I have ended up with 4 'books' (I call them
>  sets of accounts) when I open the 'File' dropdown menu. 2 have the same
>  name which is confusing because it contains the rubbish I created whilst
>  'practicing' and the other two I do not want. How do I delete these 3 so
>  that I only have the 1 account I want to use in the 'File' menu. I have
>  scoured the very useful help manual but cant find out how to do this
>  anywhere. I think I am confused with so many things being called
>  'account'. Thanks
> Paul Openshaw (N340net)

Firstly, you do know that 2.3.8 and all other 2.3.x releases are considered
development releases ? Using them can lead to data loss. So you shouldn't use
them for anything you consider important. Use 2.2.9 instead.

Now regarding your question, the 4 "books" you refer to in the 'File' menu is
a list of the most recently used files. You will find such lists in other
programs as well. There isn't really a good way to remove this list.

If you really wish to remove the entries you don't want, you can remove the
file
c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\.gconf\apps\gnucash\history\%gconf.xml

Where <username> is your windows login name.

If you then reopen the accounts file you wish, this will become the only entry
in the File menu.

Geert