split delete funny stuff

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Tue Feb 23 15:34:00 EST 2010

> Define "Separate Choices"?  It most certainly does differentiate
> based on the register mode.  If you're in Basic mode it assumes "delete

> this transaction" always.  If you're in expanded mode then it depends
> which line you're on; it will ask you whether you want to delete this
> split or all the other splits.

What I mean is that the user is making an implied choice, whereas for
something so dangerous and irreversible as a delete operation, the choice
should be explicit and unequivocal.  If you right click on a transaction
in the register (wherever the cursor is in the transaction) the menu
choice offered is "Delete Transaction".  This is *very* misleading when
all you want to delete is a split!  The button on the toolbar is simply
marked "Delete", so how is the user intended to know what is being
deleted?

Even having used Gnucash for over a year, I find this confusing, so what
a new user makes of it, heaven only knows.  In my view there are two
proper solutions to this:

1)  the right-click menu should contain two separate choices - "Delete
Transaction" and "Delete Split" (preferably NOT adjacent to one another,
to avoid accidentally hitting the wrong one!!!), and there should be
separate "Delete Transaction" and "Delete Split" buttons in the toolbar.

2)  the menu should offer "Delete Split" if the cursor is in a split, and
"Delete Transaction" if the cursor is in the top line of the transaction.
Similarly, the legend in the "Delete" button in the toolbar should change
dynamically according to the position of the cursor.

I have no very strong view about which of these is better, but either
would be a great improvement on what is currently there.

On a related matter, the "Remember and don't ask me again" option strikes
me as *very* dangerous, and the "this session" option not much less so
(although I do see the logic behind it).  Why is this behaviour not
controlled in the preferences menu, rather than being treated in this
exceptional way?

Colin