split delete funny stuff

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 24 15:13:05 EST 2010

Derek--

I think it's a mistake to have the same unchanged button do different things based on the context. As other naive users have pointed out, the lack of distinction of the meaning of "Delete" in this case has caused them confusion and doubt. Someone even mentioned being afraid to click that button for fear of damaging their data.

To me, that's a problem.

I am reminded of Microsoft's Windows Explorer, which will do different things with a file that you drag and drop: sometimes, it moves the item; sometimes, it copies the item; and other times, it creates a shortcut in the new location to the original item. I understand when and why each of these results occur, but I guarantee you that the vast majority of basic users haven't got a clue about what's going on.

A delete button that does different things based on which line of the register I am in may seem clear to you, but not to others. It is also problematic with the Auto-Split view, since it is very easy for a user to click what appears to be one line on the next transaction, only to have the highlight be on a different part of the transaction once the Auto-Split changes. The varying line highlighting can also occur if you make a transaction disappear from the active account by changing that split line to another account.

FWIW, I use the disappearing behavior to ensure that imported transactions with complex splits get properly designated. After import, I open the Unspecified account and change the transaction splits to use real accounts rather than Unspecified. I know I am done when there are no more transactions in that account. But I have to be very careful when I click the delete button.

David