Sorting

Daniel Richard drichard58 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 09:27:15 EST 2010

On Thursday 14 January 2010 03:33:24 am Colin Law wrote:
> 2010/1/13 Daniel Richard <drichard58 at gmail.com>:
> > I have been using gnu-cash for some time now and have noticed something that kind of gets annoying at times.
> >
> > When I open up an account register and sort it by some field other than the default, it does not always sort correctly.  This is especially true if I sort it by the number (which is what I like to do to make it easier to balance the checkbook at the end of the month).  I thought maybe I had a hidden character in the number field that was causing the problem, but I cleared the field out and re-entered the number and there is no change.  I am attaching a screen shot of my register sorted by number and you can see that the go along OK for a while, then they get out of sequence.
>
> Could there be an unprintable character in the num field confusing the
> sort algorithm?  Try completely deleting the number and re-entering
> it.  Make sure you delete everything, backspacing off the front and
> hitting delete a number of times.
>
> Otherwise is there any pattern to the ones that appear out of order?
>
> Colin L

I deleting the number like you suggested, but it didn't change anything.  Since the numbers go 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 110, 111, 112, 105, 106, 107, ...., I even created a new entry and typed in 105 as the number.  Instead of placing it after 104 in the list, it put it right after the existing 105.

I also took another account (savings) that does not have check numbers and entered in some bogus numbers out of order and had it sort them.  This also failed.  So this does not seem to be specific to the one account, but common to all of them.