How do display a certain Report/results

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 15:48:51 EST 2010

Well, there are two ways I would try to do this:

1) You could search for interest payments with the particular payer, and create a transaction report from the results. This will only work if you have put the payer in the individual transactions. If all your transactions are described as "Interest" this won't work, although you might be able to use the filter account option in the report options to get only interest from one account.

or,

2) Change your account structure so that each interest payer has a separate account under Income:Interest (E.g. Income:Interest:First Unity Bank of Heaven). You then have a simple way to see the interest from a particular source, which really helps come tax time.

I have gone further and taken to using a separate account for each interest-earning account, since some accounts I track have bearing on my taxes, and others don't. I also list the interest source as the description (e.g. "First Unity Bank of Heaven") for these; then, when I run the tax report, I get an entry for that under Interest Income, and it's easy to match against 1098s.

You can tell that I prefer method 2. In the long run it's Just Better. (That's a joke)

David