Year's end, file size an issue?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 27 16:01:23 EST 2010

Frankly, from my own experience, closing the books for my personal purposes is only very marginally useful.

Using the included close books feature creates a couple of transactions that zeroes out the income and expense accounts. Unfortunately, you then have to avoid those records whenever you run any reports, and this is a hassle that never goes away.

You can split your file up by year, but a) that's an even bigger hassle (since you have to create opening balance transactions for all your accounts), and b) prevents you from running any long-term reports on your financial data. Me, I like to see more historical data, rather than less.

I believe that trying to use the reports to glean this sort of information is a better way to go--although I will be the first to admit that the reports system can be a challenge.

I have found that Gnucash startup is slow, but not horribly so. It seems to bog down worst when you leave reports open from one session to the next. When it starts up with these reports, you can wait a good long while. I try to save reports I am interested in, and close them when I am done with them.

I will be very happy when the newer reports features get into regular distribution. I have tried one of the eguile reports, and it loads faster than I can write about it.

David