New user: can I name "categories" after importing qif files

trythis grahamlane at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 08:39:10 EST 2010

choochoobazoo wrote:

>  When I import the qif files from my bank account (or checking account in
> American-English) GnuCash asks me to define categories for the different
> item descriptions there and then. This means I have 50 to 100 of them to
> do, which may take over an hour.
>
> Can I define categories later on? I mean define them for all the items
> which have the same description, not just for each individual item? How do
> I do this?

I am fairly new, but I have found that you can change any "category" on any
item whenever you want, unless it is reconciled. You can un-reconcile, but
it gnucash tells you things can be messed up.
Anyway, if you select or create and select your categories when importing
qif files, it remembers them for next time, where it does not appear to
remember the selections you make while using the register.

One irritating thing is that it remembers only exact items. For instance if
you go to starbucks 38 times and go to 38 different starbucks, you will have
to select your account for starbucks 38 times if they have slightly
different descriptions such as "Starbucks coffee road" and "starbucks
espresso road".  It will remember them next import though.
I wish gnucash could look for similar strings in the descriptions and
suggest accounts allowing you to fix the ones that aren't  correct instead
of having to dig deep for every single item.