New user: can I name "categories" after importing qif files

choochoobazoo richardbrownipswich at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 25 10:02:00 EST 2010

trythis wrote:

> choochoobazoo wrote:
>>
>>  When I import the qif files from my bank account (or checking account in
>> American-English) GnuCash asks me to define categories for the different
>> item descriptions there and then. This means I have 50 to 100 of them to
>> do, which may take over an hour.
>>
>> Can I define categories later on? I mean define them for all the items
>> which have the same description, not just for each individual item? How
>> do I do this?
>>

> I am fairly new, but I have found that you can change any "category" on
> any item whenever you want, unless it is reconciled. You can un-reconcile,
> but it gnucash tells you things can be messed up.
> Anyway, if you select or create and select your categories when importing
> qif files, it remembers them for next time, where it does not appear to
> remember the selections you make while using the register.
>
> One irritating thing is that it remembers only exact items. For instance
> if you go to starbucks 38 times and go to 38 different starbucks, you will
> have to select your account for starbucks 38 times if they have slightly
> different descriptions such as "Starbucks coffee road" and "starbucks
> espresso road".  It will remember them next import though.
> I wish gnucash could look for similar strings in the descriptions and
> suggest accounts allowing you to fix the ones that aren't  correct instead
> of having to dig deep for every single item.

So the answer is "No"? In my question I said I wanted to define categories
"for all the items which have the same description, not just for each
individual item". You have only mentioned changing individual items, which I
was already aware of. Remember I am asking about doing this when the bank
statement has already been loaded into the program. Thanks.