New user: can I name "categories" after importing qif files

trythis grahamlane at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 18:01:51 EST 2010

Michael DeBusk-3 wrote:

> If I were in this position, I'd open the QIF file in a good text editor
> or a word processor and add the "categories" (the account names) that
> way. The file format isn't difficult. (The line for the account for
> Starbucks would look like "LExpenses:Caffeine".)
>
> I think it'd go a lot faster than doing it during import because you
> have the advantages of searching and copy/paste.

After following the tread, I started adding my categories in a spreadsheet.
I have been using calc2qif macro that converts CSV spreadsheet to qif.
http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/calc2qif_en.php
there is an xcel version for those using  excel
http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/xl2qif_en.php

It makes the tedium of categorizing tolerable when importing years worth of
accounts.