paycheck question

Jeff Kletsky gnucash at allycomm.com
Sat Jan 30 11:49:57 EST 2010

I'm not an accountant or tax attorney. Given that, you can take my
answer as you wish.

I wanted to track:
* total salary paid
* taxable portion of salary
* pre-tax deductions portion of salary
* Where it all went

I made a decision that, for me, tracking total salary as well as the
pre-tax portion was sufficient, as I could subtract the two come tax
time. If you use a professional tax preparer or accountant, you should
ask them on this all anyways.

So, super-simplified, my paycheck-related accounts look something like:

Income:Salary
Income:Salary:Pre-Tax

Expense:Tax
Expense:S125 Benefit

Asset:Bank Account
Asset:401(k)

and a paycheck looks something like:

Income:Salary            1000   -- my total pay

Expense:Tax              -300   -- taxes just an expense

Income:Salary            -100   -- Section 125 benefits
Income:Salary:Pre-Tax     100   -- are paid w/ pre-tax dollars
Expense:S125 Benefit     -100

Income:Salary            -200   -- 401(k) deposits are also
Income:Salary:Pre-Tax     200   -- paid w/ pre-tax dollars
Asset:401(k)             -200

Asset:Bank Account       -400   -- and the rest goes in my bank

At the end of the transaction:

Income:Salary             700
Income:Salary:Pre-Tax     300

Expense:Tax              -300
Expense:S125 Benefit     -100

Asset:401(k)              200
Asset:Bank Account        600

While I could have made Income:Salary:Taxable and split all my salary up
that way, then used Income:Salary as a roll-up, it would have meant one
more pair of entries on each paycheck. I haven't decided if I want to do
that or not -- it will depend on how budgeting works in 2.4.x.