paycheck question

Mike C. subscribe307 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 30 18:18:43 EST 2010

Just a suggestion but I would reduce the entries to make it simpler by:

Income: Salary (Taxable)                                   $700
Income: Salary (Pretax)                                       300
Liability: (Tax)                         300
Expense: S125 benefit             100
Asset: 401k                             200
Asset: Bank Account               300
Expense: Social Security            75
Expense: Medicare                    25

It was suggested by others to treat withholding and estimated taxes as a
negative liability and it has worked well for me.  It is really not an
expense until you file your income taxes.  It is really an accounts
payable but that is not available except for business accounts.  I
assume you are in the US since you have a 401k so you probably have
Social Security and Medicare deductions that have to be accounted for
somewhere.
Mike