Fedora 13 gnucach 2.3.13

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Wed Jun 23 08:42:25 EDT 2010

I think Fedora went with 2.3.13 because 2.4.0 will be released (I hope) in the near future.

In general 2.X is stable (and OK to use) if X is even (i.e. 2.2, 2.4) and unstable (for testing) if X is odd (i.e. 2.3).  The unstable releases are made available for people to test and report any problems.  In general, there are no guarantees.  We believe that stable versions won't destroy your data, but we believe there hasn't been enough testing on unstable versions to make that same statement.  In addition, the unstable versions can be in flux - new features are being tested, and things may need to change.  That being said, I've been using 2.3.X for my real data and have had no problems.  However, as a developer, if something goes wrong, I have more knowledge on how to repair the damage than the average user.  In addition, as a developer, I find it much more useful to use the new stuff to test it.  However, I am careful about making backups and checking for problems.

You should be safe using 2.3.13.  There are no changes planned in how data is stored between that version and 2.4.0.

All of that being said, the official line is that 2.3.X is unstable and you should use 2.2.X.

 Phil
---------
I used to be a hypochondriac AND a kleptomaniac. So I took something for it.