Edit transaction?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 15:21:40 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 6:26 AM,  <fun at gingerbreadday.com> wrote:
> Whenever I try to edit a credit card transaction from last year and add
> another account to the transaction for further clarification of  the
> spending of the money GC always pops up with some "transfer of funds"
> window.  My thought is, "look, geez, all I want to do is add another account
> to this transaction.....what the heck is your problem GC?"
>
> How do I fix this?

I've been trying to imagine what "transfer of funds" dialog you are
seeing. If you are editing a transaction that has already been
reconciled, GnuCash will warn you that you are trying to edit a
reconciled transaction, but it will proceed to let you do it.* If you
then create new accounts in the split transaction, it should let you,
but if the lines don't balance, Gnucash will create a balancing
transaction in an Imbalance account at the root level of your accounts
tree.

*I believe if you have told GnuCash to "never show you this warning
again" it might not give you the opportunity to override the edit. The
way around that is to use the reset all warnings option under
Preferences.