Edit transaction?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 12:16:55 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 6:26 AM,  <fun at gingerbreadday.com> wrote:
> Whenever I try to edit a credit card transaction from last year and add
> another account to the transaction for further clarification of  the
> spending of the money GC always pops up with some "transfer of funds"
> window.  My thought is, "look, geez, all I want to do is add another account
> to this transaction.....what the heck is your problem GC?"
>
> How do I fix this?

It just occurred to me that the time you might see a "Transfer of
Funds" dialog is when you have finished RECONCILING the account. (The
purpose is to remind you to account for the transfer of funds when you
pay your credit card bill.)

SO it sounds like you must have edited the transaction while you were
reconciling against your credit card statement. You can edit the
transactions independently of reconciling your statement (before,
after, during). But in general you only want to reconcile your credit
card account only once per statement, lest you cause yourself some
confusion.

In my previous advice, I suggested maybe you were seeing the "editing
a reconciled split" warning. I just played around with a couple of
accounts in GnuCash 2.2.9, and I did NOT get that warning when I was
just adding or changing expense accounts to reconciled transactions. I
only got the warning when I tried to edit a reconciled transaction
amount. This is exactly as it SHOULD work... and if you are NOT seeing
that warning when you should, you can go to Actions --> Reset
warnings... to selectively reset any warnings you may have suppressed.
(I was incorrect earlier when I suggested that the reset option is in
Preferences.)