Invoice API

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 2 11:29:44 EST 2010

Don Quixote de la Mancha <quixote at dulcineatech.com> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Munroe Sollog
> <sollog at digiraticonsulting.com> wrote:
>>  I searched around this list a bit but didn't see any
>> mention or request for an api to add invoices from another
>> application.  We have our invoicing system online so customers can
>> view their invoices.  At the moment I am entering them in again to
>> gnucash for accounting purposes.  Is there any plan to allow for an
>> appropriate API to programmatically add an invoice?
>
> The GnuCash data file is just an XML file.  It's normally compressed,
> but there is a Preference you can set to keep it uncompressed.
>
> As long as you're careful not to edit the file while GnuCash has it
> open, it ought to be possible to write some code that would insert the
> proper XML for an invoice right into the file.

Bas advice.  We neither advise nor support direct modifications to the
datafile.  All data should go through the GnuCash API.

Having said that, yes, there *IS* an API for creating invoices.  It's in
C, and there may even be scheme wrappers as well.  The downside is that
we do not supply a gnucash.pc, so compiling against the gnucash
libraries is currently rather challenging for a third-party application.