Importing Only Quicken Category List

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 4 09:01:40 EST 2010

Hi,

Chuck Waggoner <chuck.waggoner at gmail.com> writes:

> For the last 8 years, I have not had a reason to use accounting
> software, but my circumstances have changed, and I need to begin
> again.  Previously, I was using Quicken but now desire to use
> GnuCash.
>
> I am having a problem importing Quicken categories from my previous
> Quicken program.  I have--and want--only the categories; no
> transactions (which I do not have, and can no longer access).  I
> have examined and experimented with the GnuCash sample QIF
> files--which contain both categories and transaction information.  I
> find that if I remove the transactions from those sample files (to
> simulate what I have) NOTHING imports--categories are not converted
> to GnuCash accounts.
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or what is the matter?
>
> My categories are fairly complex, coming from a combination which
> combines both personal and a sole-proprietorship business.  It would
> really be a nightmare to create all those accounts by hand in
> GnuCash.
>
> I searched using both the GnuCash user list search engine and
> Google, but--unbelievably--can find no one else who has experienced
> this problem.
>
> Any ideas?

Unfortunately, no, the QIF Importer cannot import a set of accounts.  It
only imports transactions, and will only create the accounts necessary
based on the transactions it wants to import.  So no, you cannot use the
QIF importer to create an empty account hierarchy.

Do none of the existing GnuCash hierarchies come close to your existing
hierarchy?