Tithing sales

James Kerr jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 10:16:50 EST 2010

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 John Garber wrote:

> I've just started to use GnuCash for a small business.  I would
>  like to tithe sales to an "unpaid tithe" liability account that
>  would be "depleted" when I write a check to pay the tithe.  The
>  Sales are deposited in a checking account. I tried transferring
>  money from the sales account to the unpaid tithe liability
>  account, but that affects the total sales shown in reports
>  (decreases it by 10%). How can I increase the "unpaid tithe"
>  liability account (debit??) without affecting the total shown for
>  the "Sales" account?

Debit : Bank  100
Credit: Sales 100

Debit: Tithes Expense 10
Credit: Unpaid Tithes 10

When the tithes are paid:

Debit: Unpaid Tithes
Credit: Bank

If you use "friendly" column headers, then the Debits go into the
left-hand column (whatever it happens to be called) and the Credits go
into the right-hand column.

Jim