Unrealized Losses on Balance Sheet

c-a-l c-a-l at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 13 16:26:13 EST 2010

Using GnuCash 2.9.9 on Windows with standard reports that download with the
program.
Using the Balance Sheet report with "Nearest In Time" selected, and
reporting as of 2/1/10.

When the GnuCash file was created, entered 10 Shares of XYZ at $100/share in
the Account for XYZ, with a balancing transaction to Equity:Opening Balance
of $1,000.  Equity is now $1,000.

Fast forward to 1/31/10.  XYZ is currently worth only $80/share.  My Balance
sheet shows
Assets: XYZ = $800
Equity: Opening Balance = $1000
Unrealized Losses: = $200
Total Equity: = $800

So far so good.

Now I sell all of XYZ on 1/31/10 for $80/share.  I enter a transaction into
the account for XYZ.  The proceeds go to a new savings account.   My
Expectation is now that the Balance Sheet will show:
Assets: Savings: $800
Equity: Opening Balance $800
Unrealized Losses: = $0

HOWEVER, it does not.  The balance sheet shows EXACTLY the same as in the
first example except that the $800 asset is now checking instead of XYZ
Stock.  How can this be?  Once I have sold the stock and taken the loss,
isn't it a realized loss?  Why does the "Unrealized Losses" still show $200?

I tried to "Close Books" as of 2/1/10 to see if this would get rid of it,
but it does not.  How does the unrealized loss ever go away? What can I do
to show it gone?