Unrealized Losses on Balance Sheet

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Mar 14 08:50:17 EDT 2010

The unrealized loss didn't go away because you didn't include it in the
transaction? You expected that to be automated? But how could you expect
GnuCash to know the NAME that you chose for the account into which
realized losses are to go (sorry -- but GnuCash can't assume that there
will be a single "realized loss" account, could be separate ones for
different investment categories and also whether short term or long term
gains/losses).

So your transaction might have looked like"

Assets: Savings                                         $800
Expenses: Capital Gains/Losses                $200    (that was stock
held over 6 months, yes? that still the rule?)
Assets: Stocks: XYZ                                              $800
Unrealized Losses                                                  $200

Notice that there was more wrong with the way that you described your
transaction when selling the stock. You shouldn't be involving Equity
(that gets affected when you close the books -- the difference between
the totals of all Income and all Expense accounts goes to Equity)

Michael D Novack

PS: The developers are into doing software. It might be nice if there
was a "Basic Accounting 101" text to go along with the project along the
lines of "Basic Accounting 101 Using GnuCash" but it's unfair to expect
somebody to sit down and write the text for that as part of a free
software project. Of course in theory nothing in the rules of "free
software" says that an accompanying how to best use "book" has to also
be free but I'm not sure that the GnuCash user community is large enough
to support such a thing.

     Seriously -- find a used book store and grab an inexpensive "Basic
Accounting" text. Then your questions will be more reasonable along the
lines of "how do I do THAT when using GnuCash?" (as opposed to doing it
pen and ink on accounting rules paper).

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.