Foreign Currency results in non balanced balance sheet

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sat Mar 13 18:32:10 EST 2010

On Mar 14, 2010, at 7:17 AM, c-a-l wrote:

> Mike
> Thanks for the response.  It would be great to be able to post the
> transactions in the currency in which they take place, so I'd like
> to figure
> out where the problem is.  A few questions:
>
> 1. When you do your balance sheet report, in the options, under
> commodities,
> is your price source "Nearest in Time" when you get the balance
> sheet to
> balance?  I found I can get it to balance using Average Cost and
> Weighted
> Average, but not Nearest in Time.  Of course if I use either of the
> former,
> the value of securities and Euro accounts is not the current value,
> so that
> is no good.

I use either "most recent" or "nearest in time".

> 2. Are you using the balance sheet that comes with GnuCash? or are
> you using
> the revised one you (or someone with your same name) posted at:
> http://bugzilla-attachments.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=66868
> I would love to learn how to install that if that one will fix the
> problem.

That is ancient history.  That patch (or equivalent) has been in
GnuCash for a long time.  It was a fix to the computation of
unrealized gains, but this is irrelevant for me since I'm using
trading accounts so the balance sheet report doesn't need to worry
about unrealized gains.  I've used both the balance sheet report that
comes with GnuCash and the new eguile based report.  Both balance.

> 3. Which version of GnuCash?  I'm using 2.2.9 for Windows.

I'm currently running SVN r18551 built on Jan 8.  This is a part of
the 2.3.x series, but not quite up to date since I'm in New Zealand
right now and haven't built GnuCash recently.

         Mike