bulk delete transactions

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Mar 18 16:31:43 EDT 2010

>I don't understand.
>
>I have a 33MB xml file with hundreds of accounts and tens of thousands
>of transactions.
>
>I would like to delete a few thousand transactions - all the ones
>against above account.
>

>If delete account doesn't delete the double entry, I can only see one
>possible solution: move to SQL version and delete the records via SQL.
>Would that work?

You might want to try explaining what you are trying to accomplish.
NORMALLY in bookkeeping transactions are never deleted.

Might I try a guess?
 This is a dormant/obsolete account. Although once very active, a large
number of transactions, it now has a zero balance and there is no
expectation of it being used in the future.
   Normal solution ---- you HIDE the account (instead of deleting it).
If an income/expense account (temporary account) you don't have to
select zero balance accounts to show and if a number of these you can
have "obsolete" parents under either Income or Expense or both -- if
parent not expanded, don't show in list of accounts. If Asset or
Liability accounts you again can have parent accounts for "obsolete".

If you intention is something else, explain what and we may be able to
help. The reason no facility to delete in the way you want is that is
USUALLY considered a no-no in accounting.

Michael D Novack

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.