Split transaction in Wallet account

James Kerr jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk
Sun Mar 21 17:26:43 EDT 2010

On Sunday 21 March 2010 Andras Toth wrote:

> Hi, I am new to GnuCash and accounting principles.
>
> Using GnuCash v.2.2.6, I am trying to create a split transaction
>  for the expenses of a short trip into the account "Assets:Current
>  Assets:Cash in Wallet". In the split transaction I would like to
>  add entries like "Bus fare", "Museum entrance", etc. which should
>  register expenses into different accounts (e.g.
>  "Expenses:Travels", "Expenses:Culture", etc.). Following the steps
>  from the manual [1], I enter the values and the destination
>  accounts. However, whenever I hit enter, or press the "Record
>  current transaction" icon, the split transaction from the Wallet
>  account just _disappears_ (!), and the amount of spent money is
>  not detracted from the amount in Wallet (i.e. it remains the
>  same). However, individual transactions do appear as split
>  transactions in the other accounts.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Did you enter the total of these expenses as a decrease in the
"Wallet" account? Each transaction must balance internally. That means
that the total of the amounts entered in the left-hand column of a
split transaction must always equal the total of the amounts entered
in the right -hand column.

Jim