Refunds and overpayments

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.idps.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 09:48:14 EDT 2010

On Thursday March 4 2010 14:08:58 you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mike Evans <mikee at saxicola.idps.co.uk> writes:
> > I guess overpayments are rare, however.
>
> Not necessarily.  GnuCash is set up to apply an over payment to the next
> invoice.
>
> > I have a customer who's just paid me, not only what they owe but an
> > advance on the next job however, it 's too much (?) so I will need to
> > refund some of the money and have it show up correctly in
> > customer->Report.  I can do a transfer from bank account to
> > accounts_receivable which corrects bank and receivable but this does not
> > solve the customer report problem.  Invoices do not accept negative
> > amounts so cannot do it that way.
>
> You cannot hand-enter any transaction and have it appear in the biz
> reports.  So no, you cannot do a transfer from bank to A/R manually.
>
> > I could just keep it I guess. :)
> >
> > It led me to thinking though, can I set up a customer who is also a
> > vendor. ?
> >
> > Mike
>
> -derek
I've been puzzling over this for a while, again.

A customer report of an overpaid/advance paid customer shows a credit, which
is good.  Posting a new invoice for the customer, of the balancing amount,
brings the balance to zero again in the customer report, which is also good,
but I see this now in the 0-30 days box of the receivable aging part of the
report, plus there is an unpaid invoice listed in the invoice view and a
receivable aging report shows the same situation.  If I now pay this invoice
to clear receivable aging, the customer report again reports a credit amount.
So how I do mark the invoice paid without actually paying it?

Using a holding account for the over payment solved the above problem but, as
you say, the overpayment transaction doesn't then show up in the customer
report.  I also have to remember to take part of the next invoiced payment
from the holding account and the remainder as a cheque.

Neither scenario is satisfying to me.  The same issue seems to have affected
rshgeneral a while back, (October 2009).

MIke Evans

--
GPG Key: 1024D/050895C2
Keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/