Trouble Loading Finance::Quote

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Mar 29 19:54:17 EDT 2010

On Mar 29, 2010, at 2:48 PM, John Layman wrote:

> What I'm reporting is that, once Finance::Quote is installed, the Perl
> scripts run during GnuCash launch, but don't update prices.  It has to be
> done via menu selection.
>
> I tracked down the link below, which describes this exact issue in a 3-part
> review of GNUCash:
>
> http://www.suburbandollar.com/2009/02/20/using-gnucash-to-manage-your-person
> al-finances-part-2/

The author of the article is mistaken. Gnucash can be run from the command line with an argument that will cause it to update prices for a particular file, but when it is, it Gnucash won't launch the user interface; it will just update the prices and quit. See http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/invest-stockprice1.html#invest-stockprice-auto2, section 8.6.3.2 for an example.

Regards,
John Ralls