Import wizard's "Smartness"

Oliver Schinagl oliver at schinagl.nl
Sun Oct 10 06:19:18 EDT 2010

Hello list,

First off, I'm very new to GnuCash and i'm liking it a lot. I'm very new
to financial things and have some questions.

I read that the Import wizzard can make smart choices and can 'grow' to
become smarter. Well I'm trying to figure out what makes the import
wizzard smart so that I can start using GnuCash on my 5 year long list
of bankstatements. Some history on those.

I'm with Postbank/ING and they only offer CSV exports. I found a
excellent csv -> ofx perl convert script and i can import that data
without problems. However the transactions aren't linked to anything
else so i was trying to figure out how to make the wizzard pickup on things.

A transaction in the OFX looks like this:

<STMTTRN>
<TRNTYPE>POS</TRNTYPE>
<DTPOSTED>20050114</DTPOSTED>
<TRNAMT>-7,57</TRNAMT>
<FITID>200501147,57</FITID>
<NAME>1315xxx ALBERT HEIJN 1yyy></NAME>
<BANKACCTTO>19zzzz</BANKACCTTO>
<MEMO>PASNR ***XXXX 13-01-2005 18:03TRANSACTIENR 18NNNNN</MEMO>
</STMTTRN>

Hopefully me chaning some digits in to xxxx, yyyy, XXXX and NNNN didn't
change the legibility. The Bankacctto seems to be interesting, as it
groups a lot of similar statements together. e.g in this case, its the
bank account of the grocery where I shop. However how would I get
GnuCash to figure this bit out? I tried to manually add one of these
transactions into gnucash and even though the import wizzard 'saw' the
one, it imported the other groceries as uncategorized transactions.

So to summarize, what should I do to make gnucash smarter when importing
data? I can modify the csv file slightly (and the perl script) to make
minor adjustments but I really am not looking forward on working on 5
years of bankstatements :(

Thanks,

Oliver