Setting Column Width

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Mon Sep 6 04:37:00 EDT 2010

Derek -

You said

> This is in the FAQ:

It seems to me that the fact this question arises frequently enough to
warrant an entry in the FAQ is an indication that the current method of
dealing with columns is not entirely satisfactory.  Are there any future
plans to make columns work in a more intuitive (and, dare I say it, a
more standardised!) way?

A more usual approach is to enable the re-sizing of any column by
dragging its RH margin, independent of the size of any other column.
Make a colum so small that the total width of viewable columns is less
than the total window-width, and there is a blank margin to the right of
the last column.  Expand a column so that the total width of all viewable
columns exceeds the total width of the window, then a horizontal
scroll-bar appears, allowing the user to scroll sideways to view the
hidden content.

I think that this approach would be far more intuitive for the user, and
would significantly cut bandwidth in here!  :-)

Colin