Problem with currencies in split transactions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 7 09:00:32 EDT 2011

hi,

Matt Tovey <matt.tovey at googlemail.com> writes:

> I've just upgraded to gnucash 2.4.4.

Upgraded from which version?

> Now when I take an existing transaction, between two accounts in EUR,
> split it, and change the amount in one of the splits, the imbalance
> appears in USD instead of EUR.
>
> If I add another split and set it correctly, so as to change the
> imbalance to 0, a currency conversion window opens, asking to enter a
> rate between EUR and USD. This shouldn't happen, as all of the
> accounts are in EUR.
>
> I looked in Preferences, and saw that my default currency was set to
> USD. Changed to EUR, but it hasn't helped.

What's your system locale?
Changing this default will not help with any existing transactions.

> Can anyone help me?

How did you enter the transactions?  (Using what User Interface)?

I'm guessing you used the General Ledger to input them, because when you
do the transaction currency is always your Locale Currency.  So you
would see the problem you are seeing now.