Financial Reports on GNUCASH Version 2.4.0

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 20 10:20:40 EDT 2011

Hi,

Sorry for the previous reply; your original message eventually got
moderated through.

Francis thomas Mandeya <ftmandeya at yahoo.com> writes:

> Can anyone tell me on using GNU_Cash version 2.4.0 for normal transactions which
> are entered as follows in the ledger:
>     Debit    =  Bank Deposits or Cash Accounts
>               =  Expenses
>      Credit = Income or Recepits or
>
>                = Bank Withdrawals
>      ________________________________

I believe you are conflating issues here, and probably not fully
understanding double-entry accounting.

> When you run the following reports why do you end up with negative reports in
> the following accounts----

Probably because you entered the transaction backwards.

> Run Reports/Income & Expense/ Income Statement => Why do we end up
> with negative Income? How do we correct such a problem?

Fix your transactions.  When you have income you Debit Bank/Cash and
Credit Income.  When you have an expense you Credit Bank/Cash and Debit
Expense.  I suspect you have your transactions in reverse.

> Even when you run the balance sheet as follows:
>
> Run Reports/Assets and liabilities/Balance Sheet => A negative balance sheet
> does appear? How do you correct this problem?
>
> Is there some technicality in GNUCash that I am missing?

Most likely you have your transactions backwards.