Generating a unique transaction number

foxylady337 hendry.michael at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 10:32:47 EDT 2011

I've been using TAS Books for many years, and after a year of parallel
running with GNUCash I'm now starting my first year with GNUCash alone.

TAS Books automatically generates a unique serial number for every
transaction, and also allows for the separate recording of a cheque number
or pay-in slip number for bank accounts.

During the parallel phase, I booted up Windows to run TAS Books, entered a
series of transactions, then printed off a copy of the work I'd done for
entry into GNUCash (with my preferred OS, Ubuntu). I use the transaction
numbers to file all the loose paperwork (paying-in slips, credit card
receipts etc) so that I can recover them easily - e.g. if returning faulty
goods. I put the TAS-generated transaction numbers into the Num field in
GNUCASH, and was able to continue with the same method.

Although GNUCash will insert the next number in a sequence if I press the
"+" key in the Num field, this number is not unique - as it's the next
number for that particular register, and if I'm recording transactions from
my cheque book, from online transactions with my bank and from several
credit cards in the same session, I'm bound to lose track and put in a
duplicate number before long.

I'd hoped I might be able to include a prefix (e.g. MC for MasterCard, VI
for Visa), and have GNUCash generate unique sequential numbers for each
register, but this didn't work.

Am I missing something obvious here? How do others file their credit card
receipts?