Problem opening a new file

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sat Apr 30 03:34:47 EDT 2011

Ok, thanks for the images.

On vrijdag 29 april 2011, Bill Reimer wrote:
> Here are a few - moving through the sequence as specified in the example
> from the Help menu.
>

> 1. Opened GnuCash
>
> 2. File -> New file
>
> 3. View -> New accounts page
>
> 4. Actions -> New Account
>
> This opens a new tab on my Vista bar at the bottom, but the window looks
> exactly like the one above.
Aha, we're mixing up terminology here. When I was refering to tabs and pages,
I was talking about parts of the already visible GnuCash window. The "tab" is
the part of the window that says "Accounts", the "page" is what this tab is
attached to.

It seems with "tab" you mean a window indicator on the Windows Vista task bar
and with "page" you referred to a window.

Now that I got that, I wonder if the New Account Properties page is not hidden
behind the main window. What happens if you click on the new tab in your Vista
bar at the bottom ?

> I can repeat step 4 and each time a new tab
> appears at the bottom but I cannot edit or open a new account properties
> dialog window. You can see the look of the drop-down menu I get on the edit
> option: the Edit Account option is greyed out.

This is also expected. Edit account can only be used on existing accounts.
Your chart of accounts is currently still empty, so there is no account to
edit.

> I hope this helps. I’m running on Vista, by the way. It looks to me that
> the template for the New Account Properties window is missing or defaults
> to this other page.

That is very unlikely, but we'll see once we figured it out.

Geert