Question on Investments

Mike Roberts Mike at roberts-engineering.com
Mon Aug 22 14:54:25 EDT 2011

I think this particular function needs some work.  I usually use it, but
only as a starting point.  If I have multiple purchases, I don't use it at
all, because it will make a separate lot for each purchase.  I usually want
a single CG entry for a single sale.  I don't fault GC for separating a
single sale for multiple purchases as that is necessary when you have both
short term and long term purchases.

My biggest problem is that it does not account for purchase and sales
commissions.  I also don't care for the way it creates the accounts.  I
prefer that the gain or loss go into a Income:Cap gain(long):MyAccount to
better match with my 1099s at tax time and separate taxable transactions
with IRA transactions.  A Top Level Account called Orphaned Gains-USD is not
much help.  Lastly, though I normally use FIFO, it would be nice to have a
choice.

My normal procedure after selling a stock is to create the capital gain
entry as a starting point using View Lots and Scrub.  I then review the
purchase and sale data and edit the Scrub created entry to reflect
commissions and accounts.  At any rate, once you have seen a CG entry, it is
pretty easy to set up another.

I have heard about the wrong answer situation, but I have not run into it.

Mike