See below .LCK file cannot be opened

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Feb 1 08:06:24 EST 2011

>If you want a filename or directory with spaces, just enclose the entire
>name with quotes ("This is my file").
>
>Ampersands (&) are a reserved system character, and so shouldn't be used.

The problem  is an "operating system" issue. Some of the stuff used by
gnucash assumes that "&" is a special character because it in in the
'nix operating systems where these components came from (but it is a
legal character in a Windows name). That's a problem I ran into when I
first began using gnucash many years ago. The gnucash team can't fix
this problem as they don't "own" the components involved. Folks need to
realize that many (most?) of the people developing free software aren't
Windows users.

The .LCK file isn't intended to be opened. If you need an explanation it
is a very simple way to prevent disallowed "sharing" of a resource.
There are other methods, but this one works because having exclusive
rights to a file does not prevent others from checking for the existence
of that file (the first "user" opening gnucash "owns" this file; if
others try to open gnucash they find that the file already exists and so
aren't allowed into that "profile" ---- if your system crashes while
gnucash was open this file may have gotten left behind and you may need
to delete it manually* to "unlock" the data. That's no gnucash specific
advice as this method of using a "lock" file is common).

Michael

* This is NOT some flaw/defect. This sort of database locks exist even
in major systems only there you as user don't have to do the post crash
unlocking, some tech support person does it for you when bringing the
system back up. Multiple user databases (multiple concurrent users) have
a "database manager" program managing the accesses to the database for
all users. That's a major project all in itself and why projects like
gnucash are "single user" (single in the sense of "one at a time").