Backing up

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 26 09:23:16 EST 2011

cageda at bbox.fr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to configure GnuCash so that the *.xac files get stored
> to the "Documents" folder. That way the files would be automatically
> backed up to my external HD when I do a general backup of my
> documents.
>
> There might be other ways to achieve that BTW. Any suggestions
> welcome.
>
> TIA
> Alain

What I do is have a single backup mechanism for all my files. I see no
reason to treat the GnuCash files any differently than any of the others.

My policy is to back up _all_ the files on my system every night around
1 AM (when I am unlikely to be using the machine) onto a removable
medium. This is arranged to happen automatically, so I need only arrange
to put a new tape (I use VXA tape) in the drive before going to bed each
night. That way, no matter what I lose, I can get back something that is
at most 24 hours old.

I use 6 daily tapes, 5 weekly tapes, and 12 monthly tapes. The monthly
tapes are kept in the safe deposit box at the bank.

 ^^-^^ 09:15:01 up 38 days, 17:50, 3 users, load average: 4.64, 4.81, 4.81