Using account codes in transactions

Katona Gábor katonag at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 14:40:39 EST 2011

using account numbers is different then using names, because using
numbers inherently contains a logical hierarchy for typing itself which
can be easily expanded without breaking the logic and at the same time
you need much less typing! Also you need only the numeric pad, which is
more convenient. So of course account names can be used, but account
numbers are much better I think. No wonder why it is used in all
professional accounting systems.
And also, why would someone define account codes if they cannot be used
effectively for any real purposes? There should be a reason for
including them in GnuCash...