Project Report

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Jul 6 07:33:23 EDT 2011

Vasyĺ V. Vercynśkyj wrote:

> Good day!
>
> Let's imagine the setup:
>
> One day I decided to go into new business and I chosen… pillow making.
> I supposed to produce pillows stuffed with feathers and foam-rubber.
> Thus I have two business projects to realize:  Feathers Pillows
> (Project codename "FP") and Foam-Rubber Pillows (Project codename "FRP").
>

> - Expenses € 0
> -- My business
> --- Material purchase

Stop right there. The place you need to begin is not how to use GnuCash
but how to do "accounting for a business" (no matter if this or any
other software is used).

When we are doing "personal" books we can be pretty careless about what
we call an expense. But for a business, not. The amount you expend for
materials is immediately an asset (supplies) and only becomes expensed
as this material is used for pillow that are sold (before selling, the
"materials" inventory becomes "goods" inventory as converted into pillows)

I suggest that if you are serious about doing business books via gnucash
--- or any other way, even old fashioned pen and ink on paper, I mean
doing it yourself rather than hiring somebody, then you have to learn
the basics of the accounting involved. A program like gnucash can only
be automating parts of the process for you, can't teach you how.

Michael D Novack