[Bulk] OFX - can get accounts, but not transactions

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 7 12:55:01 EDT 2011

On 7/6/2011 8:17 PM, Nathan Stewart wrote:
> I'm new to OFX in GnuCash - been using GnuCash for a while now. I've set up
> my bank using
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Setting_up_OFXDirectConnect_in_GnuCash_2, and I
> can obtain a list of my accounts.
>
> When I try to import transactions though, it fails. Gnucash says there are
> no transactions for this time period. The output looks like:
> Sending jobs to the bank(s)
> Locking user xxxxxxx
> Saving communication log to /tmp/ofx.log  (yes I'm running with logging on
> for the moment)
> Could not create connection (-6)
> Error parsing server response
> Unlocking user xxxxxxx
> Postprocessing jobs
> Resetting provider queues
>
> Inspecting the ofx.log file doesn't strike me as anything particularly
> imformative, other than some tags are closed <TAG>...</TAG>, but most are
> not closed. I googled for ofx, gnucash, and my bank, and did find some stuff
> where they apparently changed the format back in 2008, but 1) nothing
> suspicious since then, and 2) it would appear that there are gnucash users
> using my bank.
>
> I checked with my bank, while surreptitiously posing as a Quicken user to
> avoid 'we won't tell you what color the sky is because because you're not
> using a supported platform', and it would appear that I don't have to do
> anything with them to set up OFX access there, and they do have documents
> for Quicken, and Money.
>
> How do I get past the ever enlightening "-6"? What should I be looking for
> now?

There are too many ways to fail in this process.  You do not mention
whether you are happy with the results of both parts of your aqbanking
setup.  This may be crucial.  One important one is to be sure that your
User Configuration AppVer is '2000' rather than '1600' and try changing
your APPID to 'QWIN'.  That worked for me.

When you get closer to success, the OFX importer will not import any
transaction that it thinks has already been imported.  The bank's
transaction ID must be unique for every transaction, and sometimes, if
there has been an incorrect match in the past, it presently is very
difficult to un-match.  Check the Gnucash Bugzilla about this issue, I
have a bug report there.

Good Luck.

David