Historic accounts entry - Vendor Bills

bulbus_maximus rahul.sunder at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 04:40:27 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am having a weird starting problem with Gnucash.

I am starting to enter all my transactions in Gnucash which is a breeze to
do. Now I have done all in the entry part *except the business menu ones
(customer invoices, vendor bills and vendors).*

Firstly, my transactions are since beginning of my business (around 1 year
old). So I want to be able to put the vendor bills for these transactions
and I do not want it to go through A/Payable and then settle the bill. I
would rather prefer that the settlement happens directly between the expense
account and the Bank checking account.
Now I understand that the workaround is that I directly do this entry to
reflect the above, but I am afraid that I will not be able to use the
Gnucash features of Customer chargeback and vendor bills list where I will
be able to see the expenses incurred on projects basis.

Secondly, since these transactions are historical I do not see the need for
the *Posting and Pay invoice*. Moreover, as most of the bills we pay are
immediate payments through our Bank account (online or cheque), the Post and
Pay invoice system is a little difficult to get used to.

Thirdly, if I follow the Post and Pay invoice system is there anyway that I
can see source of funds for the expenses and the payment to expenses account
easily. Because as I understand everything gets routed through A/Payable
account. The option I am thinking is that I assume A/Payable account is just
like my Bank checking account but where it lists all the vendor bill
payments made. So its just a naming convention in that case.

As a business practice, since we are a startup, we are still not getting any
facourable credit terms and at the same time we always take an advance on
our purchase orders. So I feel the Post and Pay invoice system should help
only those where payments are made on credit terms. But if there is no
option to not use this system, then I can settle for the workaround cause I
find GNUcash is damn good for all the other things.

So to sum it all up, I am trying to identify a system that will work in
gnucash to -
Create a system of vendor bill payments that can be tracked back to the
corresponding client invoice/project for my past and future transactions
while at the same time maintain an easily identifiable cash flow/accounting
system between A/Payable, Bank Checking account and expense accounts.

Hope I can get some inputs from you on some things that you do to simplify
gnucash use.

Thank you very much.