Please Help!

Nicolae Crisan nicolaefc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 20:46:16 EST 2011

I feel the frustration, I truly do. Question, <b>Do you have GnuCash
on a flash/usb drive?</b> This is a critically important question. If
you DO, then what could have happened is, when you moved from one
computer to another OR you had ANOTHER device (usb drive) plugged in
or some other device is using the drive letter your GnuCash usb drive
was using, then GnuCash would NOT have been able to find the file.
Here's the concept.

1. You load GnuCash on a usb drive with the letter E:\
2. You restart your computer the next day and plug in your iPod Classic/Nano
3. The iPod shows up as a usb drive (Touches don't) and move music
back and forth.
4. The iPod's drive shows up as a drive letter, such as E:\
5. You plug in your GnuCash usb drive and once you start the app, it
cannot find your file!

(Plese don't get technical people, I'm not sure whether iPods show up
as drives all the time, the concept is what counts here)

What happened? Well, as far as GnuCash is concerned your file was
saved as E:\Company.gnucash! However, since you installed a new
device, it is now F:\Company.gnucash. So, instead of opening up
GnuCash "straight-up" from the EXE file, go INTO your usb drive and
check where you saved it.

If you did NOT use a usb drive or forgot where you saved the data
file, read on. So, if you used GnuCash on the computer itself, check
your "My Recent Documents" for the file in question. When you find it,
do NOT open it. Hover your mouse over it and right-click it. Select
"Properties" and check to see the "Path" to where it's saved. Please
post back so we can help you out with this. This really sucks majorly,
hopefully it's NOT a bug. If you can't find it listed under your
recent documents, we'll try searching for it. Please let us know what
O.S. you have. That will drastically change (in some cases) the
instructions to searching for it.