Please Help!

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 8 04:27:22 EST 2011

On 8 November 2011 09:16, Daniel Hollis <danh4648 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I searched for the file and all i could find was the .gcm file under gnucash/books.  The main file was usually in mydocuments/gnucash.  The whole mydocuments/gnucash folder is gone.  I really hope that somehow I deleted it myself and the program did not have a bug because I am worried this could happen again..  Luckily i had another folder with some old files and I only lost a couple weeks of entries..  So not as bad as I originally thought but I have lost some confidence in the program.  It is not the first time I have had a scare with gnucash.  One time I did something wrong with the dates on a transaction and I had to manually edit the data file due to a known bug..

I don't think there is any way gnucash could delete the whole folder,
it would be virtually impossible for it to do that I think.  I think
whenever anything like that has happened to me it has been due to
operator error on my part, accidentally doing something silly.  Did
you check in the trash folder?

This does bring up once again the importance of backups.  Everyone
should remember that at any moment your hard disk could go up in smoke
(literally or metaphorically) so we should remember to backup anything
that we have invested time an effort in onto separate media, and
preferably for important stuff keep an offsite copy.  Send a CD with
all the photos, gnucash stuff and so on to Granny occasionally for her
to keep safely in case the house burns down.

Colin L