Off topic- Intuit logging in to my bank account?- Conclusion (I hope)

. peace at AleksandrSolzhenitsyn.net
Thu Oct 6 08:53:34 EDT 2011

On 10/06/2011 05:06 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 6 October 2011 00:23, . <peace at aleksandrsolzhenitsyn.net> wrote:

>> Sorry for the mess up folks concerning the blank emails. I hope this
>> one comes through ok.
>>
>> Below in quotes is the response I received from Quicken;
>>

>> "Thank you for contacting Quicken Customer Care.
>>
>> Hi XXXX ,this is XXXXX and I am a Supervisor at Quicken Support.I have
>> gone through your concern and would suggest you to change your Bank
>> account password on the Bank's website.Once,the password is changed the
>> accounts would not be recognized at the Intuit's server and the
>> connection to your account will be lost.
>>
>> The reason the accounts still exist on the Intuit Server is because
>> ,before uninstalling the program from your system the accounts were not
>> deactivated.Thus,the Server still logins to your account.
>>

>> If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply to this email."
>>

>> My comment about the above is simple- BALONEY!!!!!! I've changed my
>> passwords and users ID's on all bank accounts many times per year. The
>> same applies to the "challenge" questions too.
>>
>> I'll see whether there's anymore logins and let you know the results. I
>> have to reiterate the following; 1. I haven't used Quicken in over 2
>> years. 2. I rarely use Windows and only use it for adding iPod/iTunes
>> music...and that maybe once every 2 months.
>
> You have not told us what the bank has to say about it. If someone is
> able to login to your account after you have changed the password then
> there is a very serious issue with the bank's system.
>
> Colin
Oh....here's the situation concerning the banks (3 of them).

The 1rst bank provided the IP addresses and login dates and times.

The 2nd bank said, "we don't keep IP addresses or login dates and
times".  My reply to that was this, "ok....let me give you an example,
let's say I'm from the FBI and come to your bank with a subpoena for the
IP addresses and login dates and times.  Are you going to give them
me"?  The banks answer to that hypothetical situation was, "we'd refer
the matter to our legal department and they would provide the
information the FBI would want".

....this gets better....

The 3rd bank said, "what's an IP address"?

Since the banks aren't in any hurry to solve this problem beyond the
"change your password" idea I'm inclined  to tell them I'll close my
accounts and go another bank (dumb me) unless they explain to me how
this problem occurred.  I for one do not believe Intuit's argument.