Login Message ".....encountered bad or corrupt data"

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Oct 9 18:50:02 EDT 2011

On Oct 9, 2011, at 11:56 AM, Glenara wrote:

> Hello
>
> While I am quite new to GnuCash I'm coming across little things that may be
> of interest to others, and in this case it seems that others have
> encountered this message:
>
> *The server at URL mysql://User@localhost/gnucash experienced an error or
> encountered bad or corrupt data.*
>
> In my case, I had being entering the wrong password.
>
> I'm wondering if the dev team should consider returning/displaying the sql
> error instead?  In which case the message would be along the lines of "...
> access denied to user....."
>
> I think those trying to do remote access would also appreciate this more
> informative error message particularly when the remote host may not have the
> necessary permissions.
>
> Also, is this the kinda of thing I should be posting to the dev group
> instead of the user group?

No, here is fine. The devs read both lists, and prefer to keep the dev list for discussing code and architecture and such.

As for your question, not only is it reasonable (not to be confused with doable), but it's the subject of another recent discussion here, which has been transferred to a bug report [1].

Regards,
John Ralls