Too many files!

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 28 03:55:48 EDT 2011

On 28 October 2011 01:40, tasha at tmphotographyfresno.com
<tasha at tmphotographyfresno.com> wrote:
>   Thanks, I actually figured that out today after taking a long hard look
>   at what was going on, and just changed the setting to 60 minutes before
>   it makes a back up. I couldn't get to the FAQ wiki yesterday to get the
>   question answered, apparently the server was down. :)

You have not made it clear exactly which setting you changed to 60
minutes, but if it is the auto-save time then changing it to 60
minutes means that (unless you save the file manually) you could do 60
minutes work before it auto-saves the data file.  That means that
after 59 minutes of work, if you lost power or if something crashed
you would completely lose all that work.

Colin

>   On Oct 27, 2011, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>     On Wed, October 26, 2011 8:20 pm, Gnu-User wrote:
>     > Okay, I'm brand new to GnuCash. I am using Windows 7, in case you
>     need to
>     > know. Here's my issue:
>     >
>     > How do I change settings so that GnuCash overwrites my file when I
>     save
>     > instead of making a brand new one?
>     GnuCash does overwrite your file when you save. The "Brand New File"
>     is
>     actually a backup file. See the FAQ:
>     [1]http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_What_are_all_these_.gnucash_a
>     nd_.log_files_filling_up_my_directory.3F
>     > Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     > You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>     -derek
>     --
>     Derek Atkins 617-623-3745
>     [2]derek at ihtfp.com [3]www.ihtfp.com
>     Computer and Internet Security Consultant
>
> References
>
>   1. http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_What_are_all_these_.gnucash_and_.log_files_filling_up_my_directory.3F
>   2. mailto:derek at ihtfp.com
>   3. http://www.ihtfp.com/